There will be an internal version of this article at some stage
Many customers are UK-based and have no need to make calls outside of the UK. Similarly, other customers based elsewhere in the world also require the ability to prevent calls to international destinations. This article explains how to set up this restriction yourself using UK as the example.
Whilst it is possible to set restrictions on a PBX, if one is used, adding a block at a SIP ID level is considered to be a far more robust approach given the nomadic nature of VoIP. Restrictions applied to a SIP ID (sometimes referred to as VoIPtalk ID or Trunk ID) apply to all calls overriding exceptions set on a per-user basis if such a capability exists in the originating equipment. Therefore when using an PBX for example, if you wish for the Managing Director to be able to make international calls but no-one else then this is not the correct approach.
Note: Customers with more than one SIP ID may wish to apply these changes to each ID in which case the process should be repeated for each SIP ID individually. However if one of these SIP IDs is a Master and another a Slave, then the changes only need to be made to the Master as this controls where calls can be made to.
To complete this task you will need access to your VoIPtalk Portal. You will need to know the email address and web login password in order to log on.
Setting up restrictions
To set up dialling restrictions for your SIP ID please follow the steps below:
- Navigate to http://www.voiptalk.org using your internet browser and click the green Login button on the right of the grey menu bar at the top. Enter the email address that is registered with your account and the web login password. Click the green Sign In button.
- Once logged in to your Account scroll the VoIP Accounts list until you reach the "My Account" section. Click on "Blacklist"
- On the Blacklist page, select the SIP ID you wish to apply restrictions to by clicking on the number. The first available SIP ID is selected already when the page loads.
- To block all calls to international destinations we start by adding all Destinations to the Blacklist. Click the green Add All button. All the Destinations will move to the list on the right. Do not click save changes yet.
- In the "Search country name or prefix" box above the right hand list, start typing the name of the country you wish to allow calls for. In this example "United Kingdom"
- The list will filter accordingly. Once the list contains the destinations you require, click on each individually to move them back to the Destination list on the left.
- Once finished click the green Save Changes button.
Note: The changes are applied immediately after the Save Changes button is clicked. If you accidentally click Save Changes after step 4 then all outgoing calls will be blocked until you complete step 7.